So here is a project we did today in our All About Art Summer Camp! It is good for any age between 3-12 (but honestly, our college-age counselors loved doing this project for themselves too!).
Air Dry Clay (white)
Black, Orange, or Brown Pipe Cleaners
1. Starting with a tennis ball-sized ball of clay, roll until smooth.
2. Pinch a beak out with two fingers from one side. It can be a short or long as wanted!
3. (Optional) shape the clay to have a triangular top.
4. Using pipe cleaners, bend into foot-like shape and press into the bottom of the clay.
5. Next, press feathers in the back for the bird’s tail (3-4 feathers is fine!).
6. Allow the bird to dry fully – about two days.
7. Once the bird is dry, paint the bird with Tempera paint.
8. Glue on googley eyes!